Proposal to combine Aussie zone and build the community

any AoC-related stuff
GrandNagus

Proposal to combine Aussie zone and build the community

Post by GrandNagus » Sun 29. Dec 2019, 07:56

Some of the aussie players have been discussing team games. With the release of DE, there has definitely been issues getting enough players together to have organised and balanced team games though the zone. By the looks of it, this community has the same problem.

With the advent of server based networking, thoughts on allowing aussie players who formerly played on the aussie zone (https://ausnz.games/) to play here instead?

We are also discussing the possibility of adding an official discord, which would serve as a means to communicate better with the players. If there was an official conduit for promoting and introducing players to the zone, the on-boarding and retention of players would be a lot easier. Right now, we rely on a lot of channels and pure luck to organise games, which simply isn't cutting it anymore.

Welcoming any ideas and thoughts.

GrandNagus

Re: Proposal to combine Aussie zone and build the community

Post by GrandNagus » Sun 29. Dec 2019, 08:00

As an additional thought, I wonder if we could somehow port our matches to your system. We have a small amount of data around ratings/history but we could of course start fresh, especially if there is a rating difference between the two systems.

HomerS84

Post by HomerS84 » Sun 29. Dec 2019, 12:03

not all at the same time pls!
nC_$kittle_ wrote:ohne eine fundierte einschätzung von homers macht der thread eh keinen Sinn :(

nC_eru
nC Member

Post by nC_eru » Sun 29. Dec 2019, 13:26

You're more than welcome to join us. Until now, the high ping was the only reason why it was a little bit annoying, and since, as you said, this is no issue anymore in DE, I really see no reason why you shouldn't play here.

Importing your games on the other hand will be an issue since:
  • all players which did a game in your Zone need an account here which we can assign a player to
  • we play different maps
  • the ratings are different (however, in order to activate all of you quickly, we should find a conversion anyways)
  • we would have to write a distinct importing logic since we have to rewrite all IDs (team id, player id, map id)
Of course, all the points would be resolvable, but that would require a lot of work.

I also like the idea with Discord. I also tried to setup one once, but I'm really noobish with Discord and it didn't really work :D .

Obelix

Post by Obelix » Sun 29. Dec 2019, 18:41

I really like your idea and getting to know some of you people lets do this.

Importing all your played games shouldnt have a high priority in my opinion. Importing all the players and ratings should be easy to make so we can collab.

Hope this is working out quickly.

Toom03

Post by Toom03 » Mon 30. Dec 2019, 00:22

nC_eru wrote:
Sun 29. Dec 2019, 13:26
I also like the idea with Discord. I also tried to setup one once, but I'm really noobish with Discord and it didn't really work :D .
not sure what you wanted to achieve but if you have problems in discord feel free to msg me. I have experience with setting it up and adding bots and stuff SeemsGood

GrandNagus

Post by GrandNagus » Mon 30. Dec 2019, 03:01

Okay, sounds promising. How should we handle registration and activation? It would be helpful to have someone in the aussie timezone with permissions to activate new players. ChriSt, zain and myself are active players who are interested in setting this up for the aussies have experiencing doing admin work from using the aussie zone.

If we can get access we can start circulating the site and activating known keen players.

Re: discord, there are aussies who have started working on this, but I'll let them come forward and organise it. I think in general it would be helpful to make it as official as possible and potentially link it from the main menu etc.

RushH

Post by RushH » Mon 30. Dec 2019, 07:39

Hi NC zone, i'm a kiwi in the straya clan. I've attached the invite link to discord below. Feel free to join up. I'd also like a list of admins here i can give full permissions to in the discord server so that we can collectively work on improving it and making both AUNZ Zone and NC Zone feel at home.
https://discord.gg/kkxVm9N

nC_Ann0r

Post by nC_Ann0r » Mon 30. Dec 2019, 10:16

I love the whole idea!
...but I'm travelling till 6th of jan, only having access via my mobile here and there.
For the sake of faked democracy, I vote "Yes" for everything eru and Phil wanna say and do.

We should definitely speed up the process of player activation.
As far as I understood eru correctly, we could simply import+transform the whole Aussie player list to the nC ladder instead of activating one by one.

But giving some power to Aussie zone admins for player administration/activation/rating adjustment should be a good idea as well.

link_chaos

Post by link_chaos » Mon 30. Dec 2019, 17:31

Great idea. There seem to be 4 players with an account in both zones,

Name Nc_Rate AU_Rate Difference
_Arc 2306 2019 287
jouds 2566 2029 537
link_chaos 2605 1982 623
Shed 3492 2914 578

I think a +400/500(450?) points would be a good point for conversion. We can increase/decrease this depending on how the games go.
hitman999 wrote:Link currently has 600 points, think he could have - 200.
nC_Snyper1 wrote:Yesterday as Pocket looked quite good.
nightmare team #1 11.11% (2/18) nC_Snyper1 + link_chaos

Return to “General Discussion”